Sometimes warranted, but still painful.
A great learning opportunity.
If it’s untrue, it’s slander – and thus legal options are available.
Cleaning up negative publicity can feel as fleeting as trying to obtain an 850 credit score after a bankruptcy and foreclosure.
- Step one is realizing negative content has been posted about you.
- May be very obvious, comments posted on your blog, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, video rant, website dedicated to you, etc.
- Conduct your own search. See what’s being said about you.
- Utilize an online reputation management firm to analyze mentions of you
- Determine the source. Is it from a reputable news outlet, relative or friend, employee or person with clout? Is it from a stranger with no connection to you? Determining the source is critical in determining what to do next.
- There’s a saying that all publicity is good publicity. Hmm, I’m not sure this always hold true, especially if you’re ill equipped to put the right spin on it.
- What can you do about it?
- Act swiftly by putting together a plan of action. Get ahead of the storm.
- Contact the source (try to negotiate removal or redaction of the comments, etc.). Now this can be a sticky situation, and may require an impartial party or representative to act on your behalf. It will require diplomacy as a heated exchange with the source can aggravate the problem.
- If no contact, or if contact is reluctant about removing the content, don’t fret (too much) as you still have options.
- Slander and libel as a legal option?
- Hire an online reputation management firm
- Monitor. Like cleaning up poor credit, safeguarding and clearing your name/brand online is an intense undertaking that requires patience and tenacity. For those of us who are much too busy to keep up with what people are saying about us, trust in a company that specializes in online reputation management. There are also numerous apps that monitor mentions of specific names and organizations across the internet, and aggregate that information on your behalf.
Rolanda Gregory ©2016
All Rights Reserved.